Quality Immigration Law Services Since 1978

  1. Home
  2.  | 
  3. Immigration Law
  4.  | Special terms apply for military family-based immigration

Special terms apply for military family-based immigration

On Behalf of | Dec 13, 2021 | Immigration Law

Falling in love with someone who’s serving in the military means that you might have a lot of traveling in your future. If the service member is from the United States and you aren’t, you may wonder what you can do to get the proper documents to live in the U.S. with them when they return.

There are different processes for becoming naturalized as a U.S. citizen. It’s also possible to have an adjustment of status if that’s necessary. If you’re ready to go through one of these, you should understand exactly what’s necessary.

Location could be important

While most people who want to become naturalized citizens will have to come into the country to do so, it’s possible to become naturalized overseas. There are some conditions that apply, so you’ll have to consider your circumstances prior to submitting the application.

One thing to remember is that naturalization is only possible if you’re married to the service member. It’s also sometimes possible to have this process expedited.

Children may qualify for citizenship

If the service member has a child overseas, that child will likely qualify for citizenship. This is sometimes automatic; however, it’s usually possible for them to become naturalized without having to visit the U.S.

Military members who are stationed overseas may find the love of their life while they’re there. It’s important to know that there are special terms for coming to the U.S. if you’re the spouse of a service member. Working with a professional who’s familiar with these laws is important so you know exactly what you need to do. Taking action as quickly as possible could ensure that the whole process runs more smoothly.