Quality Immigration Law Services Since 1978

  1. Home
  2.  | 
  3. Immigration Law
  4.  | What is my temporary worker visa category?

What is my temporary worker visa category?

On Behalf of | Mar 24, 2023 | Immigration Law

Heading to the United States is an excellent opportunity to get valuable work experience and enrich your career. However, applying for a visa can be troublesome.

Before doing so, your employer should file a petition. It is a requirement for all types of temporary worker visas. Once your employer receives approval, it is time to apply for the appropriate work visa. You could determine your visa’s category based on the nature of your job:

  • H-1B: Workers in specialty occupations that require a higher education degree. These include people working in fashion, research and development.
  • H-1B1: The Free Trade Agreement (FTA) Professional applies to special occupations that require a post-secondary degree. It specifically applies to employees from Singapore and Chile.
  • H-2A: It is appropriate for seasonal agricultural workers.
  • H-2B: Temporary or seasonal nonagricultural workers fall under this category.
  • H-3: A visa for special education trainees attending programs in America.
  • L: A visa for employees visiting an affiliate, subsidiary or branch in the country.
  • O: This temporary visa applies to exceptional professionals in science, art, education, business, athletics and specific industries.
  • P-1: Athletes and performers use this visa to compete in America.
  • P-2: It is for artists or entertainers entering the country under international exchange programs.
  • P-3: It applies to professionals in the entertainment or art industry entering the country to perform, teach or coach performances, including theatre, ethnic and classical arts.
  • Q-1: This visa applies to participants in international culture programs, focusing on imparting the home country’s culture, history and traditions.

Other types of visas might be relevant, depending on the circumstances surrounding your visit. Your employer could quickly review the necessary instructions on the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services’ website when in doubt.

After determining your category, you will know if you need a labor certification. Your employer could request this on your behalf.